WVU Tech and the WV Hive are hiring a LaunchLab Coordinator! This position is located in Beckley, WV. Find more details in the description below!
West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), a part of WVU System of Campuses located in Beckley, is currently accepting applications for a LaunchLab Coordinator.
About the Opportunity
As a LaunchLab Coordinator, you will build and maintain a collaborative network of technical assistance both internally and externally to deliver support to LaunchLab clients including, but not limited to the following areas: strategy, product design and development, prototyping, legal issues, intellectual property protection, market research, branding, access to markets and funding opportunities
You will work with our Beckley team while also being a Liaison with the Morgantown LaunchLab and the WV hive to coordinate activities and provide consistent and complementary services to the WVU Tech campus, including coordination of seed-stage funding events. We are looking for someone to take us to the next level! Could that be you?
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week (Work Hours – 8:00 am – 4:30 pm)
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the daily operations of the Beckley LaunchLab.
- Coordinate coaching needs for student startups with the WV Hive business advisor team.
- Work with colleagues to coordinate innovation and entrepreneurship programming in partnership with the WV Hive.
- Oversee the Makerspace on the WVU Tech Campus and at the WV Hive 205 S Kanawha Street location, for student utilization and to ensure safety and adherence to WVU policy.
- Supervise and schedule student workers and other team members to assist with events and other project tasks.
- Instruct and/or work with the WV Hive to instruct students, faculty, staff and external constituents on the product and/or business startup process in both workshops and classroom settings.
- Coordinate with the WV Hive to provide coaching to student startup teams and provide continued long-term support for students in all areas of the venture launch.
- Assist student ventures in the process of applying for grants and seed-stage funding, including applicants for funds from university managed grants and investment programs, such as the Country Roads Angel Network (CRAN), as well as from external investors.
- Work with both colleges on campus to provide support, guest lectures, and training for courses or co-curricular activities relating to entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Actively participate in and provide leadership for the WVU Tech campus in WVU’s IDEA Ecosystem and statewide and national organizations related to entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Work closely with the AVP for Entrepreneurship and Innovation to research and secure external funding to support the work of the Beckley LaunchLab and other entrepreneurship and innovation activities across the WVU Tech campus.
- Maintain current innovation and entrepreneurial trends, market opportunities and skills training.
- Counsel prospective/current students, parents, and WVU faculty/staff about Beckley LaunchLab resources.
- Work with WVU Tech business program students to establish diligence support efforts for potential CRAN investments.
- Identify additional opportunities for WVU Tech students from various degree programs across campus that will provide cross collaboration with the WVU Hive/CRAN
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or a closely related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience involving:
- working in a professional environment, business ownership, business development, or working with startups, a plus
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience involving:
- Program managerial experience/project management
- Demonstrated ability to teach and give effective presentations to a variety of audiences. (collegiate level teaching preferred)
- Highly motivated self-starter who works well in an independent setting and can collaborate across multiple disciplines.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively and concurrently with attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to establish and track performance metrics