Director, Business Retention and Expansion (BR&E) Job Description
The mission of the New River Gorge Regional Development Authority (NRGRDA) is to initiate, and support the community and economic development efforts within the counties of Fayette, Nicholas, Raleigh, and Summers located in the New River Gorge region of West Virginia. The successful candidate will coordinate a dynamic business retention and expansion program within the NRG region, employing key strategies that support the fulfillment of the mission statement.
- Develop a coordinated regional approach to assisting existing companies in the New River Gorge (NRG) region;
- Ensure NRGRDA is most informed and a respected source for solutions to issues impacting business expansion including but not limited to comprehensive understanding of barriers and opportunities for growth, operational efficiencies and identifying solutions that will enhance business expansion and job creation
- Manage relationships and collaborate with strategic partners to develop innovative business solutions including but not limited to West Virginia Development Office (WVDO), Local Economic Development organizations, Regional Planning and Development Councils (Region I & Region IV), Community Colleges and Universities, Business Incubators, Venture Capital and Business Assistance Resources
- Coordinate with NRGRDA staff to provide successful project leadership and assistance for companies seeking to expand or ensuring retention in the New River Gorge Region.
- Effectively communicate NRGRDA’s enhanced suite of service offerings to the business community. Engage entrepreneurs, mid- cap and economic driver companies to identify opportunities to leverage resources that will support business expansion and partnerships to increase retention.
- Prospect Relationships – Focus on understanding and responding to the needs of companies considering investment in the New River Gorge Region. Leverage strong listening and problem-solving skills to meet the needs of prospective clients. As needed, lead or assist in project efforts to effectively interface with business executives.
- Solution Development, Communication and Execution – Facilitate connection and develop solutions for companies that provide a comprehensive, compelling case for investing in the New River Gorge Region. Successfully prepare and communicate solutions with strategic partners and to the company. This includes leveraging well-structured documents, presentations, and proposals, as needed. Ensure that external communications align with NRGRDA’s overall marketing and branding efforts.
- Business and Regional Expertise – Develop a high-level expertise in the strengths, assets, programs and connections that the New River Gorge Region business ecosystem can provide to a company to enhance their growth strategy. This includes: applicable sites and buildings, relevant regional and community assets, cost advantages, state and local tax advantages, state and local incentive programs, logistics/transportation assets, workforce availability, workforce development programs, etc. Apply this expertise in developing customized solutions for company projects.
- Internal Reporting, Communication and Collaboration – Communicate and report project related management activities through emails, written reports, verbal reports and other methods. Utilize consistent, diligent approach for reporting. Provide project updates as needed to team members, investors and partners.
- Support NRGRDA’s Strategic Plan – Provide collaborative support to enhance achievement of NRGRDA’s 5-year strategic plan and Business Development goals
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Major activities include:
- Actively visit with existing company executives and provide on-going support and services to corporate officials.
- Uncover potential projects from company visits.
- Develop various reports from company visits.
- Develop compelling solutions for projects that are built around a robust understanding of the business/industry key decision criteria for the project
- Build and utilize regional expertise (e.g., sites, assets, tax competitiveness, incentives) in developing and communicating a compelling value proposition
- Identify appropriate buildings/sites, and coordinate impressive site visits and site materials
- Develop and deliver accurate and effective documents and presentations to facilitate communications with business prospects
- Effectively manage and track project activity
- Maintain detailed, accurate understanding of business ecosystem and all players including for- profit, non-profit, federal, state, local government resources.
- Recruit assistance from strategic partners for specific tasks/assignments to assure project wins
- Manage special project assignments and collaborate with other team members to support overlapping/aligned goals related to business solutions including workforce, innovation partnerships, start up assistance, ecosystem mapping and key business wins.
- Ability to travel extensively in the Region with limited travel out of state.
Performance Skills and Individual Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Engineering or a related field;
- Master’s degree in Business or related fields desirable, but not required
- Five to Seven years of progressive private sector experience;
- Proven ability to build partnerships with Chambers of Commerce, governmental and non- profit organizations;
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, written, and public speaking;
- Experience with grant writing and/or fundraising;
- Proficiency in Microsoft: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Possess comprehensive understanding of business principles with an entrepreneurial mindset, including finances, supply chain, sales, marketing, real estate, procurement, workforce development, strategic business planning, etc.
- Results and goal oriented
- Effective organizational and planning skills
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and prioritize workload
- Effective people skills, comfortable interacting with senior executives and regional leadership
- Strong listening skills
- Entrepreneurial thinker
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Positive attitude, energetic, and team builder/team plater
- Willingness to travel
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range: $60,000 – $65,000 based on experience
- Other benefits include: travel reimbursement, health, life and disability insurance, vacation and sick leave, and retirement program.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and list of three to five professional references to:
Jina Belcher, Executive Director
New River Gorge Regional Development
Authority 116 North Heber Street, Suite B
Beckley, WV 25801